These are fabulous, easy cookies to make! The spices really make the difference and the cookies have all of the flavors of Chai tea in a sweet- but not too sweet- cookie. All credits go to the original author: Anjana Devasahayam from happyandharried.com Enjoy!
- Milk – ¼ cup
- Loose black tea – 2 tsp
- All-purpose flour – 2 cups
- Baking powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Ground cardamom – 1 tsp
- Ground cinnamon – ½ tsp
- Ground ginger – ¼ tsp
- Unsalted butter – ½ cup, softened
- Fine granulated sugar – Scant 1 cup + ¼ cup (see Notes)
- Egg – 1, large
- Egg yolk – 1, large
- Vanilla extract – ½ tsp (see Notes)
- Powdered sugar – ½ cup
- Begin by heating the milk in a small saucepan till it bubbles at the sides. Add tea and let it come to a gentle boil. Remove from heat, cover and let steep for 2-3 minutes. Strain the tea and cool to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, 1 cup granulated sugar, egg and egg yolk till pale and fluffy, around 2 minutes. Add vanilla extract and tea and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix slowly until combined. The dough will come together but be very sticky. At this point, cover the mixing bowl with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least half an hour. This will make handling the dough much easier while forming the cookies.
- When ready to bake, pre-heat oven to 350 deg.F. Line a couple of large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Take ¼ cup granulated sugar and the powdered sugar in two separate shallow bowls. Scoop out tablespoonfuls of the dough and roll into neat balls in the palm of your hand. Roll the dough balls first lightly in granulated sugar, and then liberally in powdered sugar. Place on the baking sheet, 2″ apart (cookies will spread when baking).
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes or till edges are lightly golden and center is just set.
- Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then remove cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Store leftover cookies in an airtight container.