I started making these cookies years ago when I needed a flourless desert. I was intrigued by the simplicity of the ingredients and preparation of the recipe. These cookies are amazing! They are delicious, easy, and require no fancy equipment. They have become my go-to treat to bring to yoga gatherings (and sometimes my classes!!) I usually use a Cuisinart to chop the walnuts fine. But, you could absolutely do this by hand. Traditionally, they are made with vanilla extract. But for fun, I made them with peppermint extract for a Christmas version and they turned out great- like mint chocolate chip ice cream! Yum! Enjoy!
Flourless Chocolate-Walnut Cookies
Recipe by Francois Payard at Epicurious.com
- Parchment Paper
- 2 1/2 C. walnut halves
- 3 C. confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 C. plus 3 Tbls unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 Tbls vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Finely chop walnuts and toast in oven until fragrant, about 9 min. Let cool. Note: This step takes some time for the walnuts to cool.
- Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in mixing bowl. Stir in walnuts. Add egg whites and vanilla. Beat with fork until batter is just moistened.
- Drop batter by the teaspoonful onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake cookies until tops are lightly cracked and glossy, about 15 min.
- Can be stored in airtight container up to 1 week- but they wont last that long!!!