Eka Pada Galavasana- Flying Pigeon Pose
This asymmetrical arm balance is fun, challenging and accessible! Let’s break it down:
- Torso is rounded, like Cat Pose or Bakasana
- Arms are in Chatturanga
- Back leg is extended
- Front leg is externally rotated and flexed- think Pigeon Pose!
- Gaze is forward of the hands
The sequence below is my Essential 10 Pose Prep for EPG. You can easily add to this with additional #4 Hip Openers and Sun Salutations. Have fun with it! It takes time to open and build strength in the hips- these are all excellent poses to practice even if you are not practicing the arm balance.
And check out my video for some How-To Tips to work into the pose!
(And I’m working on talking less with my hands!) 🙂
- Hands forward of the shoulders- so you can move forward and down onto the backs of the arms
- Hug elbows in
- Press “Pigeon” leg into the arms to rebound up
- Reach with the back leg and balance by leaning and gazing forward
- Don’t forget to try the other side! 🙂 🙂 🙂